Friday, May 31, 2013

Norman and Naming Update


Things are still a bit upside-down for Norm. He's having good days and bad days, but we're a little more hopeful with more information filtering in.

Bovine pancreas for raw feeding has been impossible to source locally, although I can't say that I was looking forward to handling it anyway. My local butcher tells me that he can only sell what has been approved by the USDA for human consumption through his shop and that I would have to find a farmer or perhaps a wholesaler, but they probably wouldn't know what they are looking for and it would be time consuming and costly. There are raw food retailers online for pets and I have located the elusive pancreas, but it would take 2-3 weeks to acquire it for him.

In the meantime, I've ordered a sample size of the EPI-Pro 6x  enzyme powder to add to Norm's current food. A good friend of my father's is a retired veterinarian. Turns out he had an EPI cat himself. He says the best course of action is this enzyme powder, but that most cats won't eat it because they don't like the taste. Luckily, Norman is not known to turn down much of anything. Interestingly enough, I thought the powder was a medication to help Norman process the food. Instead, it works to break down the proteins in the food before he even eats it. It gets mixed into the food 15-20 minutes before serving to allow the powder to work it's magic. Apparently, it helps Norm process the food in a way that allows the nutrients to be absorbed into his system.

Gail sent me a fabulous recipe that I am starting Norman on this week. Supposed to be a real weight gain marvel for picky eaters and sick kitties. I'll mix the powder in with that.

Still working on sourcing injectable B-12 for him. It works ever so much better than oral (at least as far as remaining in his system) so I'm hoping to move to that soon.

Many, many thanks for your support, advice, and words of encouragement. I thank you. Norm thanks you too.

*****************************************************

Let the Kitten Names Begin!


We're adjusting the naming scheme slightly with this group of midgets. Beginning with this next litter, I am leaving the presidential theme behind (at least for a while). I think I mentioned that my maiden name is Monroe, which happens to be the next name on the list of presidents. It's always made me a bit uncomfortable, for some reason whether it's rational or not, to think about naming kittens after the family. Not sure why, just I'm not ready to use it. Additionally, the next several names are rather common place... and a litter of bouncy kittens are anything but common place!

I'm playing around with new ideas for last names, but don't have one decided upon yet. I'm thinking after those videos from the other day, these guys need a sporty, spunky last name. Perhaps one from the world of professional wrestling. Perhaps one from the circus. Maybe, just maybe, we have some teeny tiny Flying Wallendas moving in with us.

Feel free to make your suggestions in the comments. I can't wait to hear them :)



17 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,

    Noelle and I were discussing names and we came up with Mayweather. For Floyd Mayweather, the boxing champion; because "May weather" is usually very sunny but a little wild and unpredictable too - just like kittens; and May is the month you introduced these little cuties to us.

    Good luck with the naming process!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I *love* Mayweather! It's definitely a contender. Not so coincidentally, it's these ridiculous storms over the past couple weeks that are keeping our babies from us at the moment. Mama Marmie is keeping her babies under cover (and who could blame her?) I'm hoping for a clear day or two soon so we can trap the babies and bring them home.

      Delete
  2. purrs to Norm. I so hope the enzymes help out!

    although I'm all curious now about this recipe for weight gain..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put the recipe in an upcoming post.

      Delete
    2. Seconding the request for the weight gain recipe. I've got an old guy too -- his health issue is chronic renal failure, and he really needs to put on some weight but I've had no luck finding something that's good for him and that he'll eat. Maybe this recipe will do the trick! I see you've already said you'll include it in an upcoming post. Thanks in advance! Charlene

      Delete
  3. Poor Norm - getting old isn't for amateurs. :)

    Not sure about names....have a hard enough time naming the ones here. But I do laugh that Robyn (Love N Hisses) and I both call our fosters little monkeys....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new last name might just be the inspiration I need! I haven't been smitten with any of the first names I've thought of so far...

    For the pancreas, have you reached out to the organic farming community or the foodies/chefs? I bet if there are any heritage beef farmers in your area, you can get a pancreas (and they'd know what it was and where it was in the cow - sheesh!). Also, a kosher or halal butcher might be able to help, too. Hugs to you and Norman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was kind of my thought too about the butcher. I decided it's best to try the enzymes before the pancreas and get a measure on whether or not the enzymes help him first. That way I won't keep spending money on things that aren't working for him. One step at a time, but bovine pancreas is definitely next.

      Delete
  5. Kelly-I googled around for you regarding the bovine pancreas and found these sites that I thought might help if you haven't tried them already.
    http://www.k9enzymes.com/epi_pro6x.html
    http://www.1800petmeds.com/PancreVed-prod11104.html
    http://www.greentripe.com/

    The last one sells frozen stuff and ships on Mondays if you order before 4 on Fridays :)

    As far as names I will have to think on this. I only was thinking of the first name of Roscoe for the orange if it was a boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work, Detective Holly. Thank you! The first site is the place where I ordered Norm's enzymes :) I am trying the enzymes first before adding the real pancreas to be able to measure accurately what sort of improvement (if any) he shows on each.

      I like Roscoe. I'll file it away for future kittens. They may be coming sooner than you think! There I go teasing again. Or am I?

      Delete
  6. After a bit of research, my entries into the name game are these: Mulligan and Hogan. Mulligan is a term referring to a "freebie" shot in golf and other sports and is also the stage surname of a WWF wrestler. Hogan is also the surname of a wrestler as well. Additionally, it reminds me of the show the Hogan Family which had Valerie Harper as one of it's main characters. She just happens to have been born in Monroe, MI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about the Valerie Harper tidbit of trivia. That's awesome! I've been thinking about a Rhoda. Perhaps Roscoe will have a sister ;)

      Delete
  7. Have you tried www.hare-today.com for the pancreas? They have ground beef pancreas. I know they ship on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so you could probably get it next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look at Hare Today. Thanks! They're out of stock on the pancreas and aren't accepting orders for it right now though :(

      Delete
  8. I had a special kitteh. His name was Norman but I called him Normie. He's an angel now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you, KitKat. Normie's are very special and I know you miss him.

      Delete