Monday, June 10, 2013

Good News Needed

Okay, I'll start the ball rolling with a piece of good news. Operation "Catch The Mayweathers" is underway and nearly complete. At the time that I'm writing, two out of the three munchkins have been snatched from the yard and are currently hissing and spitting at their captor (not me). Upon closer inspection, our little feral twosome are suffering from upper respiratory and goopy eyes (which is totally expected). A vet visit is in order and then we can talk about transferring them to Teeny Tiny Tabby Town.

The one who hasn't given in yet? The stinkpot who sits outside the trap and whines about wanting the food inside but won't go in because she's too stinking smart? Ruby Junior. Should that surprise anyone?

************************************

And Now For The Not-So-Good News


His world turned upside-down starting on Friday. Norm's in bad shape and I'm feeling pretty helpless and at the end of my rope.

On Friday, he couldn't keep anything down. It was a vomiting and diarrhea extravaganza in every corner of my house.

On Saturday, he was desperate for food... crying, whining, begging. It's no wonder. He's hungry, but his body isn't getting the benefit of what he takes in.   

By Sunday, we had reached another debilitating phase. He's drooling slightly and peeing wherever he happens to be at the moment. He walks stiffly and when I weighed him? Well, he's lost weight from last week. He's sitting in a corner of the kitchen, not hiding but not seeking out attention either. He's eating, but not with the desperate gusto he usually employs.

The crazy thing is that we hadn't changed a thing completely yet, not to the meat diet and not to the enzymes. Neither are a factor, but I'm afraid to keep trying anything new. I'm at a loss. The only thing I know is that a trip to the vet will entail hundreds of dollars worth of further testing, and that we have agreed not to continue down that road. His body is shutting down and I'm afraid of what that means is coming next.

I'm doing what I can to make him feel comfortable and loved while he's still here. We haven't given up the fight, but I feel as if it's time to turn things over to a higher power. Prayers, purrs, and vibes of all kinds will be gratefully accepted.

************************************

So, like I said... Good News Needed. Share your good kitty news in the comments. I could use it.

17 comments:

  1. Kelly - I'm so sorry to hear about Norman. I know you've given him a wonderful home. My kitties send love and purrs.

    Wonderful news about the new kittens. I can't wait to meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you, Kelly, and to your human and feline children. This is the worst part of being a cat parent, having to know when to let go and let God. And when it's time to do the last final loving thing for him that you can. No matter what, Norman has been so lucky to have a loving home with you. When it's his time, your precious Chanel will be at the Rainbow Bridge to greet him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((Hugs)) Kelly and family. I wish I had more to offer but I have no funny stories of any kind. This weekend was a tough one and now it is raining :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry... You and Norman will be in my thoughts and prayers today. I woke up this morning thinking about my kitties who have passed, so I'm sort of in a similar mental state as you are. Not much good for coming up with uplifting words, I'm afraid. But know that you are not alone.

    Getting the kittens will help, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you and yours. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs to all of you and especially Norman.....

    Good news huh? Ummmm - we sent one of big adult males home on Saturday to a great home from the Petco store. Those adoptions always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you and everyone hugs. No cats here, but the dorky dogs send licks your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs to everyone, but most especially Mr. Norm. His love and his spirit will always be with you, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good kitty news - The last two of my latest foster litter were adopted out this weekend - together!

    I know you'll do right by Norm. He knows it, too. Aren't we humans silly things? We keep taking in these cats, knowing we'll outlive them, knowing that one day our hearts will break. And yet we do it anyway ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about Mr. Norman. This is truly one of the most difficult things about having pets. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds to me like Norm is ready to leave this life behind and blossom into his next one. It's hard, but sometimes it's not up to us to continue the fight and all we can really do is make the transition easier for them. I wish you all the best in this tough time. :(

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a longtime adept of this wonderful, singular boy -- I have your site bookmarked as "Norm & Co." -- I'm gutted. But I know you have his best interests in mind and will let him go when he wishes. The only consolation is knowing that you and your family gave this extra-special creature the best year of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Odilia hasn't yet made weight so I get to keep her a bit longer..
    Trevor isn't as stinky as he used to be
    Scotty is a huge faker to get what he wants..
    the black kitties have given me a few normal looking tootsies
    Jack spent the morning snuggling with me
    Muffin spent the night snuggling with me
    Eli sat on me the other day (after not touching me for 10 years, I have a near party every time he does now)
    Twee... Twee is Twee.. she is just too sweet for words
    Kit LOVES her daddy to no end..
    Fleurp seems to no longer be anemic..
    Skippy snuggled with me this morning too..

    15 different purrs for Norman. it sucks big time.

    and as much as I hate to say this, it often needs to be said (and it has been said to me too) that it is not cruel to make 'that' decision sooner rather then later. When there is hope, that is one thing, but when there is no hope - or no known hope...

    I waited too long with Em. It was hard, oh so hard because she kept telling me so strongly that she was not ready. I finally made that appointment and she still was not ready.. it broke my heart to do it more so because she was so clearly telling me she wasn't ready.. Her spirit was strong, her body was so very weak. Ollie on the other hand, decided to leave once his body started to fail him. He clearly told me he was done..

    Each pet is an individual, and their passing should be too. You will do what is right for you, your family and for Norman.. of this I have no doubt..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs to all of you and as many kisses as Norm will allow! Thinking of you and praying for you and the sweet old man.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Norman, you don't know how many people love you and want only the best for you! Hugs to you Kelly, but trust that you will know when Norman is ready...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hugs to Norman, you and your family.

    The good news is that so many of your readers have felt in their hearts all the emotions you feel now. Most of us have been there once, or many times. That never makes it anything but gutwretchingly sad. Know that we all stand with you, and send blessings and light to Norman!

    ReplyDelete
  17. <3 <3 <3 to Norman and you, Kelly. This is the worst time, wanting to not take that step before it's time, but knowing that time is growing short. Norman has been so lucky to have you.

    I don't have any particularly amazing cat news (though things are fine and everyone's healthy), but I do have a story that amuses me and might amuse you, too. Miz Poo decided late last night, for some reason, that she needed some love from Fred. So she walked slowly up the stairs, howling the entire way at the top of her lungs. Then she stood outside Fred's bedroom door (he sleeps with it closed), put her mouth to the gap at the bottom of the door and howled and howled and howled. Something about her putting her lips to the bottom of the door to be sure he'd hear her makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete